The big day has arrived. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Be on time.
- Be respectful. This person is sharing an important time in his or her life. Honor that.
- Go through your list of questions.
- If you've brought a tape recorder, make sure it's on.
- Give the person time to respond to each question. Be patient.
- Write down what you think is most interesting. Write down answers to your questions. Use quotation marks to show the interviewee's exact words.
- Be a good listener. Sometimes the best questions are prompted by an answer to another question. Don't be afraid to veer from your list to ask about something your interviewee just said.
- Thank the person for talking with you and sharing memories.
- Tell the person you will share a copy of your final report.