It's time to check the important stuff like spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and subject/verb agreement. While this probably isn't your favorite step in the writing process, it's an important one!
- Each sentence starts with a capital.
- All names of people and places begin with a capital.
- Titles in a person's name begin with a capital.
- Each important word in a title (that doesn't refer to people) begins with a capital letter.
- Handwriting is neat or the paper is printed from a computer.
- Story starts at the beginning, or with the most exciting event.
- Beginning and ending make sense.
Spelling and Sentences
- Quotation marks surround all words that are part of a direct quote.
- Commas separate items in a list, appear within sentences that have direct quotes.
- All sentences end with a period or other appropriate ending punctuation.
- Words are spelled correctly. If you are using a computer, remember to use the spell check function.
- All sentences are complete and include a subject and a verb.
- All subjects and verbs agree.