Back in the 1990s, scientists predicted that an era of heavy hurricane
activity was coming. Meteorologist Stan Goldenberg explains their ideas
in this up-close interview. See what he has to say then answer the quiz
1. In 1992, Andrew was the most __________________
storm ever in America.
2. When did the lull in hurricane activity end?
3. How long do scientist predict this "era of higher activity"
4. Why is there now a higher risk of hurricane damage?
5. Do you think the scientists' predictions about hurricane activity and
damage were right? Why do you think they were or weren't? (Use facts and
evidence to explain your opinion.)
Scientists use different tools to track hurricanes. They use their information
to warn people that storms are coming and, sometimes, that areas need
to be evacuated. One of their best forecasting tools is the new Sea Winds
Learn all about it by watching the video below but first, print
out this graphic
organizer. Write down what you already know about hurricanes and what
you want to find out about them. Then watch this video and fill in the
"What did I learn?" column.