1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter, student must write a letter, not longer than two pages, that explains how the student was involved in a historic and dangerous situation, why the student was there, and what the student did to survive the situation. Student may base the letter on a fictional experience or something that actually happened to the student. However, the events surrounding the situation must be based in historical fact. The letter should make clear the time period, the physical location, and as much detail as possible about the actual event(s). The font size and spacing are the choice of the writer. Entries must be mailed to: Arrow Survival Writing Contest, P.O. Box 714, New York, NY, 10013-0714. Entries must be received by April 5, 2013. No other means of entry accepted.
2. Winners will be selected based on creativity, execution, and clarity of thought. Winners will be notified on or about May 7, 2013. Scholastic Inc. (“Sponsor”) is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, mutilated, postage due, incomplete, or illegible entries or mail.
3. Contest is open to students attending U.S. schools in grades 3 through 7 who are legal residents of the United States. Employees, and members of their families living in the same household, of Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries, brokers, distributors, dealers, retailers, affiliates, and their respective advertising, promotion, and production agencies, (collectively, the “related entities”) are not eligible to enter. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. One entry per person.
4. There will be one (1) Grand-Prize Winner will receive an all-expenses-paid three-day-two-night Museum Exploration Trip for two (the winner and guardian) to Washington D.C Date of travel will be determined by the winner and logistics will be coordinated by Scholastic . (Approximate retail value of this prize is $2,500.) There will be ten (10) Runners-Ip Winners who will receive a 10-book “Amazing Event in History” Library. (Approximate retail value of this prize is $50.)
5. All entrants and their guest, as a condition of entry, agree to release Sponsor, each prize provider in this contest, and their respective related entities from any and all liability for injuries or damages of any kind sustained through participation in this contest and/or use of a prize once accepted.
6. No cash substitutions, transfers, or assignments of prizes allowed, except by Sponsor in case of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. All matters relating to this contest shall be subject to Sponsor’s sole discretion and Sponsor’s decisions shall be final and binding on all entrants and the winner and his or her guest. The winner and his/her guest will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within five (5) days of notification attempt or an alternate winner may be selected. By accepting the prize, the winner and his or her guest grants to Sponsor the right to use his or her name, likeness, hometown, biographical information, and entry for purposes of advertising and promotion without further notice or compensation, except where prohibited by law. Winner may also be asked to attend and participate in media and/or public relations events (the “Media Events”) designated by Sponsor, prize provider, and/or requested by various media outlets. Upon Sponsor’s request, and subject to winner’s availability, the winner agrees to participate in such Media Events without any further compensation. By accepting the prize, winner agrees to release Sponsor, prize provider, and their respective related entities, and hold each of them harmless, from any claims relating to their participation or non-participation in any Media Events.
7. The name of the prize winner (available after May 7, 2013) will be listed on the Sponsor website at scholastic.com/clubcontests. You may also obtain a name of the winners by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Winners List, Arrow Survival Writing Contest, P.O. Box 714, New York, NY, 10013-0714, by June 7, 2013.
Sponsor: Scholastic Book Clubs, Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012