Write a News Story
Meet a Pioneer Pilot

Amelia Earhart Home

Back to Story List

Brave, Talented, Intelligent Amelia Earhart
By: John M.
New Jersey, Age 13


It was July 24, 1897 in Atchison, Kansas when Amelia Earhart was born. When she was 11 she had her first glimpse of an airplane. In 1922 Amelia set her first flying record. She flew up 14,000 feet to establish a record for highest altitude by a woman. Then in 1923 she was finally issued a flying license by the National Aeronautical Association. Amelia was then forced to sell her plane during her parents’ divorce. She was also to poor to attend a piloting school. So she became a teacher for an English class for newly arrived immigrants. During the year of 1928 Earhart becomes the first officer of the National Aeronautical Association. She was proud to become the vice-president. Also she published her first magazine article in The Bostonian, entitled When Women Go Aloft. She then participated in a race which goes over the Atlantic, and they have to fly 2,530 miles. It takes nine days to go from Los Angeles, California, to Cleveland, Ohio. Only twenty women take part. Then on February 7, 1931 Amelia, married George Palmer Putnam during a private ceremony. Then in 1934 Amelia Earhart thought it was finally time to conquer the Pacific Ocean. January 11 of the year she became the first pilot flying solo to go from Hawaii to California.
It took her eleven hours to fly 2,500 miles. Then in May she flew from Mexico City to Newark, New Jersey. That was also aviation first. It wasn’t only her flights that kept her up. It was also her clothing line. While at Purdue they presented her with a Lockheed Electra 10E plane. This plane can fly 4,500 miles non-stop. Amelia loved this gift, because her next goal was to fly around the world. Then after months of preparation for flight, Amelia was ready for flight. Then a crash occurred during take-off from Hawaii, and it damaged her plane. After two months Amelia and Fred Noonan were ready to try again. They left going eastward from Florida, to California. They depart on June 1. They are going from Miami to Africa. From there they went to India. One month later they arrive in Papua New Guinea in the South Pacific, with still 7,000 miles left. On July 2 they took off for Howland. Twenty hours later Amelia’s voice was picked up by a ships radio near the island. The crew never arrives in Howland. President Roosevelt personally authorizes nine naval ships, and sixty-six planes to help the search. More than 4,000 men search over the waters and islands of the South Pacific. Sadly Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan are never seen again.

Back to Story List