"Violence in the Media" Answers
Too Much Violence? (Results by gender)
- Overall, kids did not think that there was too much violence in the media.
- a. Approximately 889
b. Approximately 382
d. Approximately 43%
Too Much Violence? (Results by region)
- The Southeast
- The central region and the West
- The Northeast
Favorite TV Shows and Movies (Overall results)
- Comedies, action, and cartoons, in that order.
- Horror, dramas, and music videos, from least to most popular.
- 1091 votes
Ratings for TV and Movies (Results by grade level)
- The majority of kids said that the ratings for TV shows and movies do not make a difference.
- The largest group of kids in grades K5 said that ratings help kids decide whether or not a TV show or movie is appropriate. Forty-one percent of kids polled in grades K5 said this.
- Kids in grades 912. Ninety-eight percent of kids in high school voted this way.
Effects of Media Violence (Results by gender)
- Overall, kids did not feel that watching violent TV shows and movies had an impact on people's behavior. Just over 50% voted this way.
- The majority of girls voted that violence on TV and in the movies did make people more violent. Just over 50% voted this way.
- About 10%