- Show students a thermometer. Point out its parts and discuss its purpose.
Ask students if they know what temperature is the freezing point. (32º
- Place a thermometer outside the classroom window (or in some other
easily accessible location).
- At the same time every day, read the thermometer with students. Model
for students how to record the temperature on the record
- Ask students if today's temperature is above or below the freezing
- After several demonstrations, assign different pairs of students to
record the temperature on a daily basis and share their findings with
the class. Display the thermometer record sheet each day. Together,
look for patterns over time.
- To go further, graph the temperature each day. As students check the
temperature, they can record it on the thermometer record sheet and
on the graph. Look for patterns on the graph.
- outdoor thermometer
- red crayon or marker
- Today's Temperature... record sheet