Meet the Native People of the Arctic
Students will discover the different
cultures of people who live in the Arctic region.
- For thousands of years, the Arctic has been
home to many groups of people. Explore the
sites below to learn about their customs, art,
- Have students choose a group of Arctic
people they'd like to learn more about, such
as the Inuit, and use the Web site below for
research. Encourage them to learn about the
group's art, traditions, and lifestyle. What
holidays do they celebrate? What kind of
clothing do they wear? How do they get
their food? And so on.
- Invite students to use what they've learned
about the native people in a creative writing
exercise. They could:
- Write a journal entry from the point of
view of an Eskimo girl or boy.
- Pretend to be an Alaskan Yupik
or Inupiaq child and write a letter to a friend describing an
exciting event, such as a celebration or a hunting trip.