Informational Texts, Real-World Issues
Long-term English language learners need high-interest topics to re-engage them in school and foster class participation. The English 3D Issues book presents twelve real-world issues that are relevant to teens’ lives and provide a platform for daily discussions and writing tasks. The nonfiction articles span a 750 to 1100 Lexile range and gradually increase in text complexity. Each article also includes a data file, text feature, and a connection to social studies, science, or health.
- Are Video Games a Brain Drain—Or a Great Way to Train Your Brain?
- Junk Food at School: Is it Your Right—or Totally Wrong?
- English 3D Sample Issue: Should Schools Step in when Cyberbullies Strike?
- Is Graffiti Vandalism or Art—or Both?
- Should Female Athletes be Allowed to Play with the Boys?
- Is Animal Testing an Experiment in Cruelty?
- Is it Time to Trash Plastic Bags?
- Should Skipping School or Failing Classes Keep Teens Out of the Driver’s Seat?
- Does the Media’s Focus on Beauty Have an Ugly Side?
- Does a Lower Minimum Wage for Teens Pay Off?
- Does Drug Testing Keep Schools Safe—or Put Your Rights at Risk?
- Should Parents Have a Say in How their Teens Use Social Media?