5-Day Unit Plan for Introducing Nonfiction
Adapted from Teaching Students to Read Nonfiction (Grades 2-4) , by Alice Boynton and Wiley Blevin (Scholastic, 2004).
Use these lessons to provide students with a strong foundation for reading, writing, and using nonfiction.
Duration: 1 week
By learning to how to use information presented in various types
of nonfiction material, students will prepare to use the multitude
of expository texts that readers of all ages encounter daily, including
newspapers, brochures, magazines, instruction manuals, recipes,
Day 1: What's Special About Nonfiction?
- Get an introduction to nonfiction texts and identify what they already know about this genre
- Prepare to read a nonfiction article by building background knowledge and learning key vocabulary
- Learn text features associated with types of nonfiction
- Learn about different text structures used in nonfiction and identify the text structure of a specific passage
- Check their comprehension skills and apply what they've learned to their own writing
Day 2: Prepare to Read
Day 3: Teach Text Features & Read the Selection
Day 4: Teach Text Structure & Reread the Selection
Day 5: Check Comprehension & Apply Writing
Home | 6 Reasons | 5-Day Unit Plan | 4 Sources
3 Comprehension Strategies | 2 Ideas | 1-on-1