- Let your mind run wild, then reel it in. Big ideas come from great
brainstorms. Factual precision comes from great research.
- Don't assume that you'll remember a good idea, opening sentence,
or thesis. Because you won't. Write it down! Anywhere you can!
- Respect the tried-and-true essay format, but don't feel constrained
by it. If it feels tired and suffocating, mold it such that it suits
the flow of your argument -- while still keeping everything organized.
- Give your writing personality. Even in analytical or research-based
papers, a bit of well-tuned flair can add a distinctive and enjoyable
- Pour your passion into your argument and your writing. Watch it come