Aligned to National Standards
Writing with Scientists addresses national standards across the curriculum as follows:
Science Standards (4th Ed.)
- Understands the nature of scientific knowledge
- Understands the nature of scientific inquiry
- Understands the scientific enterprise
Reading and Language Arts
International Reading Association (IRA), the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), and Language Arts Standards (4th Ed.)
- Collects data, facts, and ideas
- Selects, organizes, and categorizes information using a wide variety of strategies
- Analyzes, interprets, and evaluates information, ideas, organization, and language from text
- Listens attentively to others and builds on others' ideas in discussions
- Uses the general skills and strategies of the writing process
- Uses the general skills and strategies of the reading process
- Adjust their use of spoken, written, and visual language (e.g., conventions, style, vocabulary) to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and for different purposes.
- Employ a wide range of strategies as they write and use different writing process elements appropriately to communicate with different audiences for a variety of purposes.
- Conduct research on issues and interests by generating ideas and questions, and by posing problems. They gather, evaluate, and synthesize data from a variety of sources (e.g., print and non-print texts, artifacts, people) to communicate their discoveries in ways that suit their purpose and audience.
- Use a variety of technological and information resources (e.g., libraries, databases, computer networks, video) to gather and synthesize information and to create and communicate knowledge.
Technology Foundation Standards for Students:
- Uses technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity
- Uses technology tools to collaborate, publish, and interact with peers, experts, and other audiences
- Uses a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences
- Uses technology tools to process data and report results