There's not much you can do to prepare for Winter Storms, except to be
sure your house is stocked with basic emergency supplies in case you lose
power. At the very least, be sure you have:
- Plenty of bottled water
- Flashlights and batteries
- Non-perishable food
- First aid kit
- A battery operated radio
If you do need to go outside in very cold temperatures, follow these
basic guidelines to keep your body warm and protected:
- Bundle up and pay extra attention to your hands, feet, and head.
- If you're going to be outside for an extended period of time, try
to come in and warm up every 30 to 60 minutes.
- If your fingers, toes, nose, ears, or any other part of your body
feels numb, go inside as soon as possible.
- If you get wet or feel numb, go inside and remove wet clothing as
soon as possible. Wiggle your fingers and toes to increase circulation.